Re: [SQL] Money variable - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Herouth Maoz
Subject Re: [SQL] Money variable
Date
List pgsql-sql
At 00:29 +0200 on 13/10/1999, Duncan Kinder wrote:

> I cannot enter data into these fields in Postgres.   When entering "$20.00"
> for price I get the following:  "error near '.00'.  When entering "$20" I
> get "out of range." and when entering "20.00" I get " attribute 'price' is
> of type'money' but expression is of type 'float8'.  You will have to rewrite
> or cast the expression.
>
> I have drooped and re-created the table.  I have attempted to enter this
> data numerous times.  No luck.
>
> How do I enter money data in Postgres?

Money is not recommended (deprecated). The recommended method is to use
NUMERIC with a two-digit precision (or three, in countries where relevant,
which is exactly why this recommendation was made).

But if you insist on using money for the sake of the example, you should
put the values in single quotes, like strings:

INSERT INTO money_table (money_field) VALUES ('20.00');

Herouth

--
Herouth Maoz, Internet developer.
http://telem.openu.ac.il/~herutma